Friday 19 October 2012

Dark Visions

Oh God, I can't believe I actually own this!

L.J Smith has long been a Paranormal YA author and I thought I should give her a try. I could've read her vampire diaries series but I hated the show too much to even try to read the book, so that's how I picked up Dark Visions. The premise wasn't interesting but the cover was. Stupid me, fooled by the pretty cover. What's really disappointing is that Dark visions had potential. It could've been an amazing book with the crazy Mr. Zetes and greedy for fame Joyce. I actually found the whole thing pretty creepy, especially what Mr.Z did to Sasha and Petre. But then there were all these glitches that kept annoying me and I couldn't ignore them either.

In the beginning we come to know that Gabriel accidentally killed Iris and the police were after him. A dead girl was found and they just automatically assumed that the kid present killed her. Even if he did kill the girl how could the police prove this? There were no bruises or blood. She was just dead. Child killing cases are pretty serious business. Lots of stuff is done to prove that the kid actually killed the person and even then lots of things are done to protect the child from going to jail/ mental hospital. The author's lack of research and lack of general knowledge is pretty disappointing.


Kaitlyn has to be one of the most annoying characters I've ever had the bad luck to read. She is completely bland/flat/no personality.
She's the most characterless character I've ever read about. She doesn't feel any regret or self loathing when I think it's appropriate that she should. She claims to hate all guys because of a bad experience with one, but then immediately (less than 12 hours) falls in love after arriving at the institute.

And what's the deal with Gabriel? I have a feeling that he's suppose to be the cool, desirable bad boy but he's projected as a vulnerable, hypocritical little person with serious mental issues.

The prose was horrible. The author needs to take creative writing classes. The same words are used over and over again. Kait thought, Kait felt etc. The author has FIXED a set of words for for each character. For example whenever she mentions Anna there's always the phrase 'Anna's serenity'  Whenever she mentions Rob there's also the phrase 'Rob's honest face. His warm, golden glow'. By the time the book finally ended I was imagining Rob as a freaking light bulb. ( see left. My opinion of Rob)

I don't recommend this book to anyone though if you're a fan of Fallen or Hush Hush Hush you might as well read it. It got two stars from me because it had potential. It could've been better.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this book. Don't think I'll be reading it. New follower. If you get a chance, check out my blog.
    http://www.myparanormalbookreview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read this book..it was quite a while ago but I had many of the same thoughts. I am now following your blog could you please follow mine at http://bookburp.blogspot.com/ thanks

    ReplyDelete