Saturday 27 October 2012

Blood of Eden

3.5 stars

As much as I love Julie Kagawa's Iron fey series I was a bit hesitant to try this. There are hundreds of vampire books out there, why should this one be any different? And I just hate that cover. Seriously, it doesn't look anything like the girl's crying more like a kid drew a line with a red marker. Anyways I read the book thinking Julie Kagawa wrote this, how bad can it be. And WOW, I was impressed.

Why I like this book

It presents Vampires as the blood thirsty monsters they really are, not as cute, cuddly, sparkly teddy bears.

I love Allison as a character. I'll admit she annoyed me at the beginning but she proved to be a fierce, loyal and strong person.

The world building was pretty good. I have a clear understanding of how everything works in this post apocalyptic world & The idea of vampires ruling the world just seems so awesome.

I really like the love interest Zeke. I know he seems like a flat character and it's irritating that he doesn't have any flaws but it's a pleasant change. He's not like the usual smirky arrogant jerks dominating YA these days.

Why it didn't get 5 stars

As good as this book is it lacks originality. We see the idea of vampires taking over the world in a lot of movies and books.

I'm glad Allie is not a soft Mary Sue but sometimes she just seems too tough and that is annoying in it's own way.

Allie, the main girl is a really developed character but the book could've been much better if the side characters were developed too like Kanin, Ruth and Jackal- the three just seemed so flat

The first part of the book really bored me. I acknowledge that all those explanations about vampire cities and Allie's human life were necessary but still they were boring.

But it was an entertaining read and I'm looking forward to the sequel:)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Raafia,

    I've just followed you! :)

    Cheers,
    J.H. Myn
    http://jhmyn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete